Twitter / ryanbecker

Saturday, February 9, 2008

..:: big powder ::..




So, today I finally made it up to "Big" Whitefish Mountain.

With the powder days we are having this season... (snow just about every day for the last four weeks or longer)... I am too embarrassed to to admit that this is my first day of snowboarding this year, so I won't even mention that ;-)

What a great day.

I had a fantastic guide, my friend Brian and his wife Paula, who were both great ski partners, (that's Brian shreddin' a line in the photo to the left). Brian introduced me to a few new powder stashes that I had not ridden before which were great. We also hit a few of the "favorites" that I have enjoyed in previous years.

Big Horn... Elephants Graveyard... Haskill Slide... Picture Chutes... Connie's Coulee... Glory Hole... just few of our conquered trails. All together it was an awesome powder day. The north side was incredible, and hellroaring... epic!

The first run down from the summit was a bit difficult as the fog was freezing up on my goggles, and I couldn't see too much, but fortunately that didn't last, and all succeeding runs were perfect. Either the fog lessened, or the temps warmed up a bit - don't know which, maybe both, but it got great after that.

Here I am about to drop into Big Horn... sweet!



I'll admit it was a work out...I think I have been spending a little bit too much time behind the work desk, and I'm sure I will be feelin' the pain in the legs tomorrow, but it will be good pain. :-)

I wanted to snap a photo from one of my favorite lookout points on the mountain -- overlooking Whitefish Lake and the Flathead Valley from the top of Ed's Run. This is the spot for capturing some unforgettable panoramas of the surrounding lakes, valleys and mountains. Unfortunately the fog had moved in when I went over there to snap a shot. Still - as the picture portrays - you can take comfort in the fact that even when the clouds are thick and you can't see the sun... Jesus is still watching over the Flathead , and all is good. ;-)



I had to snap one more shot on my way down the mountain. I was below the fog clouds at this point and the trees opened up to allow for a nice view of WFish Lake... beautiful, even with the clouds.

1 comment:

Garren said...

Nice shots of the mtn. You made me really want to get up there.